What Is Fibromyalgia? Can It Be Treated?May 8, 2019
Chronic pain is incredibly common, but some forms are more common than others. When asked about four common types of pain, respondents of a National Institute of Health Statistics survey indicated that low back pain was the most common (27%), followed by severe headache or migraine pain (15%), neck pain (15%) and facial ache or pain (4%). For neck and back pain, in particular, spinal cord stimulation can have a variety of advantages for treating pain.
- Improved functioning: Spinal cord stimulation can help alleviate chronic pain in both the neck and back that can allow you to return to activities and tasks you have recently found too painful to accomplish.
- Increased mobility: Back pain can greatly limit your ability to move and participate in activities you once enjoyed. Staying physically active is an important step to taking care of your overall health, but spinal injuries and certain conditions can make doing so difficult, if not impossible. Spinal cord stimulation can reduce your discomfort so you can stay active comfortably for longer periods of time.
- Reduced medication use: Many people with chronic spinal pain rely on medication and pain relievers to function. However, certain medication options can be addictive or come with severe side effects. Spinal cord stimulation can help alleviate back and neck pain without having to use pharmaceuticals with potentially harmful consequences.
- Improved comfort: Day-to-day life can include many routine elements that are infinitely more challenging when you’re suffering from some form of chronic pain, especially when it comes to back and neck pain. Spinal cord stimulation can reduce your pain and make your daily living comfortable again.
- Reduced long-term pain: Many types of back pain that require surgical intervention have been chronic pain that’s been bothering you for an extensive period of time. Pain management techniques like spinal cord stimulation can reduce long-term pain and help you manage chronic conditions.
Spinal cord stimulation is an incredibly useful technique that can be used to help manage chronic back and neck pain and comes with many advantages for patients. For more information on spinal cord stimulation and pain management doctors, contact Advanced Pain Medicine today.